Sunday, February 06, 2005

It's about something. What, I don't know.

I've done nothing the past couple of days. Well... Maybe nothing is too strong a word. Yesterday we took a day trip to see our brand new, and as of yesterday, 9 day old baby niece. That was definitely a new experience. I'd previously held a 6 month old, one of our nephews. Some people say my wife's something or other or that one's my husband's so and so. I guess this is a signifier so as not to confuse the person who replies: "Is that your brother's kid or his or ... I'm confused." So far all of my nephews and nieces are my wife's brothers' children. My brothers have no children, so far, that I know of. I claim all of my nieces and nephews, all five of them (including the one newly born and the one soon to be). They are all mine. Mwahahahah. It was a good experience. I was terrified to hold something so small and so young. It was wonderful, though my arm did cramp up because I refused to move her from the crook of my elbow. She is beautiful. I can only hope my kids are as photogenic. They'd better take after their mother.

I'm reading a book, and it's a good one, surprise surprise. I don't read junk. It takes me forever to pick out a book. My wife can walk into any bookstore in the world provided it has a Christian fiction section and walk out with 10 books in 10 minutes. I on the other hand languish through the fiction and literature section, dawdle through the history section, maybe peek at the Christianity section, walk by the poetry section (I lived there in the past) and wind up at the magazines. Before taking another sweep through fiction & lit. and history. But this book, I knew about long before. It's kind of cheating. I found The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby in a magazine, Believer. He writes a column every month on books he's read. Starts each one with Books Bought vs Books Read. Then proceeds to talk about anything and everything related or not to said books. It's very good. I've liked Hornby since before I'd read anything by him. His book High Fidelity was made into a wonderful movie of the same name. I liked it. Struck a chord. I can talk about music all day long, as my loving wife can unfortunately for her attest. This book has jumpstarted my reading. I have a long list culled from his lists of books read and bought, and I've added some books of his to my own list. I will be reading a lot over the next couple of months.

No music to report. Though if I wanted to bother with it, I would post a cover of The Good Life's Album of the Year's title track by my good friend and current/former/current bandmate Stephen Thomas. But I don't know how and don't guess I really want to. But if I do, ya'll will surely be among some to know.

Thank you and good night.

No comments: